How do I create a chart or map on the new visualization canvas?
Accessing Visualization Canvas
From the landing page for a dataset, click on the Explore Data button and select Visualize and Filter. Or, from within the gird view, click the green Visualize tab and click on Try Visualization Preview. This will open a new page where you can begin building your visualization! Once on that page, click on “+Add Visualization”, you can begin to create charts, maps, etc.
Configuring Your Visualization
- Select a column of data or chart type under Dimensions. Choosing a chart type first will provide a recommended list of dimensions. Conversely, choosing a dimension column first will recommend the corresponding chart types. Recommendations are characterized by a green dot.
- Apply a numeric field or the count of rows associated with the selected dimension, called a Measure.
- Group data under Group Dimension Values. When creating grouped bar charts, users can now choose between stacked or grouped displays! Note that if a Timeline chart is selected, you can group the data by Year, Month, Day, or Automatic.
- If required, limit the number of bars or slices displayed under Limit Displayed Bars, depending on the type of visualization chosen.
- Set custom or automatic axis min and max bounds under Scale.
- Apply a sorting order under Chart Sorting, as well as autofit all marks in the same view vs. pan or scroll the chart to see all.
- Add a Title and Description and choose to display a link to the source dataset under General.
- Include or exclude data labels within the visualization for column and pie charts under Labels. When creating a column chart type, you have the option to add labels to the x and y axes as well.
- Select color palettes and bar color under Color. Hex Color Codes can be used to change the color of the marks on a visualization or map. You can also customize the color palette for any of the multi and single series line, bar, column or pie charts.
- Set the point or boundary color for maps, as well as the opacity of the marks and base map under Map.
Legends and Flyouts Menu
- Customize the Point Inspector Title for flyouts displayed on maps.
Add a Filter
Throughout the entire editing and creating experience, users are able to apply filters to their visualization by using the "Add a Filter" button located in the top left corner. Filters will be instantly applied to the visualization and have the option of being hidden by the visualization creator or viewable to the public.
Insert Configured Visualization
Clicking Insert places the configured visualization onto the Canvas. From here, users are able to Save or Preview it. The title and description of the visualization canvas can be edited at any time by clicking on the Menu button in the top left hand corner.
Embedding a Visualization
You can embed your visualization by clicking on the next to Edit in the top right corner of the visualization. Choose the size you'd like for your embed, grab the embed code and paste it into your website! When you make filters editable within a visualization, users can interact with these filters within your embed too!
Finding your Visualization
Your newly created visualization will live under “More Views” of the associated dataset and Primer page. They will also live in the catalog, if the dataset is public, and can be found under the Data Lens type. Visualizations you create will still be available on your profile page as well.
|Program Area|| |
Open Data, Data Views, Charts, Maps